One of my favorite phrases in the Bible is “one another.” It speaks of community, unity, togetherness, and not being alone. This phrase reminds me that I’m not a lone ranger, a lone survivor, or even a lone wolf for that matter. “One another” beckons me to ask for help, seek encouragement, and reach out to others in the best of times and the worst of times. Below are a few Bible verses that remind us to live life not for ourselves but for one another:
- Pray for One Another – “Confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed…” (James 5:16)
- Encourage One Another – “…Encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing.” (1 Thessalonians 5:11)
- Love One Another – “A new commandment I give to you, that you love another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.” (John 13:34)
- Serve One Another – “For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another.” (Galatians 5:13)
- Be Hospitable to One Another – “Show hospitality to one another without grumbling.” (1 Peter 4:9)
- Welcome One Another – “Therefore welcome one another as Christ has welcomed you, for the glory of God.” (Romans 15:7)
As you can see, the Bible is full of verses that move us to live in community. The abundant life that Jesus brings plunges us into a community that helps us become all that God longs for us to be. Briarcliff Baptist Church exists to be a community where we experience all of the “one another’s” found in Scripture.